The Wisconsin University Union (WUU) is an independent association of faculty and academic staff at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Our purpose is to promote the values of our members in the operation of this institution. WUU’s core values reflect a commitment to democracy—an order of free and equal persons who determine the conditions of their own association.
Please use the links at the top of this page for more information about WUU, as well as current news.
As applied to UW-Madison:
- WUU protects the right of all workers to fair treatment at the workplace, so that there is impartial application of the declared rules of UW’s operation. WUU protects due process, so that members of the UW-Madison community can vigorously pursue due process for themselves.
- WUU protects workers having the power to determine the rules of their workplace, so that faculty and staff have a clear, substantial, and secure role in university governance.
- WUU advocates for the right of groups of employees to take an active and informed role in shared governance.
- WUU educates members of the University community on current issues and promotes free exchange of opinion and information-sharing.
- WUU protects academic freedom and freedom of expression at the University.
- WUU protects equal access to education, so that access to higher education is unrestricted by income, age, sex, gender, race, lineage, sexual preference, or disability.
- WUU protects the right of workers to associate freely at their workplace, so that faculty and staff have the right to the assistance of a representative of their choosing.
For those concerned when such values become jeopardized, WUU is a voice. For those wanting to do something practical to protect these values, WUU is a tool. We ask that you join us so that together we may achieve a fully democratic institution of higher education and research.